- Maniscalco, B., Graham Castaneda, O., Odegaard, B., Morales, J., Rajananda, S. & Peters, M. (2020) The metaperceptual function: Exploring dissociations between confidence and task performance with type 2 psychometric curves. PsyArXiv.
- Morales, J. (Forthcoming) Introspection is signal detection. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Morales, J., Bax, A., & Firestone, C. (2021). Perspectival interference up close. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118, e2025440118.
This publication is a letter replying to Linton, who was in turn replying to our original PNAS paper, “Sustained representation of perspectival shape”. It gets its own entry on our publications page because it reports new data!
- Morales, J., Bax A. & Firestone, C. (2020) Sustained representation of perspectival shape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117 (26): 14873-14882.
Further discussion of these results—and the general approach of asking philosophical questions in the laboratory—can be found in this blog post in The Brains Blog.
- Phillips, I. & Morales, J. (2020) The fundamental problem with no-cognition paradigms. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 24 (3): 165-167.
- Michel, M. & Morales, J. (2020). Minority reports: Consciousness and the prefrontal cortex. Mind & Language, 35: 493-513.
This paper was featured in the Brains Blog’s Mind & Language Symposium with commentaries by Liz Irvine, Benji Kozuch, and Michael Pitts & Kevin Ortego, and our rejoinder.
- Morales, J., Lau, H., & Fleming, S. (2018) Domain-general and domain-specific patterns of activity support metacognition in human prefrontal cortex. Journal of Neuroscience, 38 (14): 3534-3546.
- Morales, J., Mouradi Y., Sergent C., Block N., Taschereau-Dumouchel, V., Rosenthal,D., Grimaldi, P. & Lau, H. (2017) Measuring away an attentional confound? Neuroscience of Consciousness, 3 (1): 1-3.
- Morales, J., Chiang, J., & Lau, H. (2015) Controlling for performance capacity confounds in neuroimaging studies of conscious awareness. Neuroscience of Consciousness, 1 (1): 1-11.
- Morales, J., Solovey, G., Maniscalco, B., Rahnev, D., de Lange, F. P., & Lau, H. (2015) Low attention impairs optimal incorporation of prior knowledge in perceptual decisions. Attention, Perception & Psychophysics, 77 (6): 2021–2036.
- Morales, J & Lau, H. (Forthcoming) Confidence tracks consciousness. In Qualitative Consciousness: Themes from the Philosophy of David Rosenthal (Ed. J. Weisberg), Cambridge University Press.
- Morales, J., Odegaard, B. & Maniscalco, B. (Forthcoming) The neural substrates of conscious perception without performance confounds. In Neuroscience and Philosophy (Eds. Felipe De Brigard & Walter Sinnott-Armstrong), MIT Press.
- Morales, J. & Lau, H. (2020).The neural correlates of consciousness. In Oxford Handbook of the Philosophy of Consciousness (Ed. U. Kriegel), Oxford University Press, 233-260.